Monday, May 26, 2014

DNF at Vermont City

Ouch... This was pretty disappointing. I'll add more detail later on but a brief overview of the race, according to Garmin is below. I basically ran my tail off with Ferenc for a good long while. I felt awesome aerobically and mechanics were sound; feeling very confident until very sudden and dramatic changes in chemistry.

There were no signs of issue until everything erupted following my 3rd GU Rocktane just after the hill. Three theories: 1) Stomach issues over the 36 hours previous to the event might have screwed with my electrolytes, 2) caffeine overload with coffee in the morning, caffeinated Nuun at two aid stations (downed both bottles fully) and caffeinated GUs. Maybe some combination of those two things is the reality. 3) I obviously went out quickly, but was it so quickly that I'd experience that level of cramping so suddenly and SO early? Never before have I experienced that.

1- 5:28
2- 5:27
3- 5:41 settling in?
4- 5:25
5- 5:33
6- 5:36
7- 5:32
8- 5:40
9- 5:51
10- 5:27
11- 5:37
12- 5:39
13- 5:40
13.1- 73:25
14- 5:38
15- 5:38
16- 6:04 with stop. cramping in high right medial hamstring
17- 17- 5:51 cramping moving to lower back, top of shoulders.
18- 5:41 amazingly kept moving
19- 5:57 with stop. Torso cramping all over, chest pain.
19.55- 3:25 scared. Chest pain continues; throw it in. No regrets there.

2 comments:

  1. Scott, sorry to hear about your DNF. Sounds like you made the smart choice, especially with your history. I switched to Vi Fuels because of their low caffeine content. Roctanes are pretty high in caffeine and they made me feel strange in a few races (no chest pain but my heart rate wasn't recovering on downhills like normal). Chin up, you're super fit and chalk it up to more experience gained plus a good hard long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg. I'll probably stay away from the Rocktane moving forward. It took a long time for my HR to drop to normal levels after the race. I was also freezing despite the nice weather. I wondered if it had to do with caffeine/capillary constriction. Feeling okay about it all now. There's always another race! Ribfest in a few weeks...

      Delete