Monday, December 3, 2012

Friday, Saturday, Sunday at Mill Cities

Friday: 30 minutes / 4 miles easy from the apartment. Exhausted from the week, happy to get something in!
Saturday: off. Nothing wrong, just slept in, worked at the store for 5 hours, got home and vegged before going to dinner at Angelica's. With Mill Cities in the morning I didn't see the point in running by the time the evening rolled around.
Sunday: Woke up tired but was pretty fired up by the time 6:30 rolled around and I met up with the Open team at Claddagh's in Lawrence. We got to Nashua and I almost fell getting out of the car. a thin layer of ice covered much of the roads as our number 1, Pat Ard, warmed up. Luckily, he completed his leg safely (and quickly) as the temperature improved just in time. I was leg #2 and lucky for me, the roads were reasonably safe by the time Pat handed off to me. Pat came flying in so fast I was barely ready to take the baton, so I headed out carrying my sweatshirt, tossed it to Jose as I rounded a turn about 200m in and immediately proceeded to drop the baton. It took me a second to realize I dropped it, but then I stopped on a dime, ran back and grabbed it, and got going again. I passed several guys early on but one guy in a green singlet (Lowell?) latched onto me for a couple miles. He and I dueled a bit for about 2 miles and then I pulled away on a gradual downhill. I covered the 4.75 mile leg in 25:05 (5:17 pace) ... factoring in the dropped baton, I'm pretty pleased with the race. I had a strong finish and then straight to the car to cheer on teammates Kevin Alliette, Jose Ortiz and Chris Hammel. We placed 2nd overall and it was a closer race than it looks on paper. Jose probably had the run of the day, averaging mid 5:20's for 9.5 miles along the river in Lowell. Overall it was a great time; hilarious banter, getting to know some of the guys better, and catching up with runners from all over the area at Claddagh's after the race. Wish I could have stayed for awards but I had brunch and tree cutting with family before visiting more friends in New Hampshire that evening... What a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment