Monday, February 29, 2016

Recovery week #3

Entering week #3 feeling pretty optimistic. This weekend spent with the legs up really seems to be paying off! Here are a few shots from the surgery and immediate aftermath. I'll add some photos of the impingement when I can get them. 



In the recovery room... in an "unusually" good mood

 Comparison 24 hours out. Not looking too bad!
A majority of the work was done on the inside of the knee

Monday 2/29: I was feeling bold and went sans crutch at work today as encouraged by the doc.  It turned out pretty well but my leg got tired by mid afternoon.  I guess that's what happens when you don't use your leg to walk for a couple weeks! 15 minutes on the bike and felt okay.  Some discomfort but nothing unusual.

Tuesday 3/1: Day 2 with no crutch and feeling far better in a mere 24 hours.  Pretty cool! Had a few solid classes and breezed through a surprise 90min observation by the dean of academics (read: my boss). Thankful to my kids for stepping it up and having a pretty cool discussion about the evolution of politics we're observing in this country. 25 minute spin. The plan was 20. Writing this, I'm ashamed because I know that part of what got me into this mess is getting greedy and pushing my limits when the timing isn't right. I really need to work on patience and not get carried away when I'm feeling good. That said... I did feel really good this afternoon. I feel like I'm turning a corner and that has me beaming with gratitude.   Back to 15 or 20 minutes tomorrow...

Wednesday 3/2: Pretty basic day! I was up and down the stairs a lot today which made my knee a little cranky. Descending is lightyears more difficult than climbing, just in terms of coordination. The major incision went through part of my VMO which is one of the medial (inner) quadricep muscles, which, I've learned, is definitely a major component of walking downstairs. The things you take for granted!... Finished the day with 20 minutes in a very low gear on the trainer and plenty of ice.

Thursday 3/3: 25 minutes on the bike. Plenty of icing after. Swelling was noticably down today! Walking really well.

Friday 3/4: Lauren and I headed down to Newport, RI for a little getaway. We swam (indoors), hung out, and most importantly reaffirmed all of the stuff we're working on together. Iced the knee in the evening. Day off, in terms of activity.

Saturday 3/5: Today I rode the bike for 25 minutes on the recumbent bicycle because the upright bicycle had one of those enormous wide seats which is, in no way, comfortable. For a reason beyond my own understanding, it felt harder than riding the upright bicycle like when I'm on my bike at home. Kept it nice and light.

Sunday 3/6: ...And, I woke up sore for the first time in months (muscularly), specifically in my glutes. So what I realized is that the recumbent bike vs. the upright bike is a very different activity in a significant way. I do NOT understand how it's different, aside from the role of gravity, but still, there appears to be an important difference. Since I've been told I have under-active glutes in the first place, I went to the YMCA for my spinning time and hit the recumbent bike. Within minutes I felt my weaker glute struggle, and by the end of the 20 minute spin I was convinced that I need to be riding the recumbent bike for a while, and certainly for rehab of the knee. I also hit the machines for a few upper body reps. My goal there was just to wake up the mucle groups and get them ready as I'm 4 weeks out from the rib breaks and it will soon be time to get the core working in a significant way again.

Week in Review: 120 minutes of spinning, 1 set in the weight room, and significantly reduced swelling in the knee. Walking more. Icing regularly but that's boring to report on. Mobility routine must wait until I'm able to comfortably bear weight on all fours. Things are definitely looking up!

Goals: 150 minutes of spinning, 2 nights of 1 set on the weights. Maybe begin mobility routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment