Friday, February 12, 2016

Recent Moves and Last Post Pre-Surgery

Busy little week here with some highlights.

Saturday, 2/6 - skied at Killington with Alex Hall, Alex (the brother) and my cousin Colin. Despite the man-made snow the conditions were pretty solid and had an awesome day on the slopes. The knee didn't get too cranky. I went down 3 times which is unusual for me. The first time, I managed to nearly impale myself on my own pole. Sharp pain in my side in certain positions but not bad enough to slow me down. Another time I hit a whale going way too fast and over-rotated into a front flip. I was having a little too much fun out there I guess! Ate at Worthy Kitchen on the way home. Lights out by 9:30.

Sunday, 2/7 - got outside for a round of disc golf, hiking through the snow around the Amesbury Pines. Threw pretty well but didn't have the power I normally have. Caught the end of the 5 mile race in Salisbury where Alex took it home in 25:30 or so. Seemed like a really nice day for a race.

Monday, 2/8 - 90 minute hike with Lauren at the Ward reservation in Andover. A few great views of the Boston skyline and caught the best sunset I've seen in a while.

Tuesday, 2/9 - 60 minute bike ride on the trainer. I've got a great set-up on the deck with a blue-tooth speaker so I was jamming to some 90s rock and got into a good gear and cranked. The neighbors looked at me like I was crazy as they pulled into the parking lot, but they'll just have to get used to it. I'm not going anywhere! My right side hurt a bit more than before.

Wednesday, 2/10 - No activity. I met the surgeon for my pre-op appointment. Sounds like a pretty simple operation... 2 or possibly 3 incisions. 40-60 minutes conscious sedation with a spinal tap to numb me from the waste down. 6 weeks no running minimum, It might be up to 3 months no running depending on what the doctor sees. Physical therapy to start 10 days after surgery.

Thursday, 2/11 - No activity. Visited my primary care because the pain in my side was keeping me up overnight. Guessed I had a bruised rib or contused my liver or something. The X-ray came back and I had 2 broken ribs (10 and 11).  Whoops... They should take about 6 weeks to heal. Considering how I'm out of running for at least another 6 weeks with the surgery, the breaks aren't that concerning to me. They should heal up just fine.

Friday, 2/12 - No activity for the next few weeks with the ribs restricting anything aerobic and core related. I'm turning 30 this year, so maybe following the surgery I'll learn how to slow down a little bit and stop hurting myself!! I'm knocking a lot of things off the bucket list this week; first broken bones (outside of stress fracture), first surgery, first February without racing since middle school, etc.

I'll probably take a step back from the blog until I have some news about how PT is progressing or if the surgery presents any new info. Thanks for following along! Good luck to everyone preparing for the GP races this March! Stay healthy, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment