Sunday, December 15, 2013

Training 12/9 - 12/15

Monday: 9.4 miles / 64 minutes easy cruising after work. Hamstrings are a little tight from yesterday, but otherwise felt surprisingly good.

Tuesday: planned off day. Figured it would be smart to chill out and let the body absorb the work from the race on Sunday. Feeling good. Got a ton of grading done!

Wednesday: 16 miles* / 1:50:03 - 6:52 pace. First 75 minutes with Steve Dowsett in Newburyport. We cruised around in Maudslay for ~50 minutes of the run. I added on a loop around downtown Newburyport to make it a long run. Cruising around 6:30s while on the roads. Nice and steady. Felt good! *estimated distance.

Thursday: 9 miles / 59:40 light progression run from 7:00s down to 6:15s. Wanted to go longer but had to rush off to an MVS meeting. Got the coaching 2014 proposal approved!

Friday: 10 miles / 66:10 nice and steady before the school's Christmas concert. We have some talented kids!

Saturday: 10.5 / 65:30 morning progression run with Newbould and Hamel in Exeter, NH. 3 degrees according to Garmin, but I think it was closer to 7 when we started.  We ran pretty easy for 4 and a fraction before picking it up. Significant miles were 5-9. Newbould and I rolled 5:52, 5:31, 5:29, 5:17, 5:17 and a short cooldown to get back to Phillips. Nice and smooth workout before the storm. Data here: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/415631221

Sunday: 61 minutes on snowshoes at a steady effort. Nothing crazy. In the past I've debated over how to measure snowshoe running within the scope of a training week. Snowshoe running is tough work, especially breaking trail, and it's slow work. I've decided that I'll base snowshoe runs on aerobic effort, assuming for everything but workouts that I'm averaging around a 7:00/mi road run equivalent. So... today I'll count for 8.5*, even though in reality, the distance traveled was probably closer to 5 miles or less.

Total: 63.4 on 6 days with a fine long run and a good workout on Saturday. It has been fun to run with people for a change. Still need to make core more of a priority. Weekly volume likely won't get much higher than this for the winter. I'm healthy and getting fitter and that's what counts!

4 comments:

  1. Nice week, Scott! That's exactly how I count snowshoe running. I also do that for trail running for the most part unless I'm running up a mountain, then I'm a little more conservative. There are purists out there that don't do that for their mileage, but I think they are missing the point that you need to track it to avoid overtraining. If you are busting your butt to run 5miles on snowshoes in an hour and call it 5 miles, there is a tendency to overtrain to keep your weekly mileage where it's at in the summer. The bottom line is an hour on snowshoes is harder than an 8.5miler on roads any day of the week. Keep it up, hope to see you at a race soon. You doing any mini meets? I'm planning on doing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks Greg! I'll try to do at least one of the Mini Meets. I haven't hit the boards in a while so I think it could be a lot of fun. What distance are you racing this Saturday? Do they allow doubling? I think my best bet is 3k at this point since I haven't been doing track work.

      Delete
  2. Yes, you can double. I'm leaning towards mile/800.

    ReplyDelete