Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Training 12/16 - 12/22

Monday: 3 miles up, 6:55, 6:34, 6:20. Cruise intervals: 6x800m at 2:27 on 400m at 6:45ish/mi recoveries. 23:31 for 5:31/mi average over 4.25 miles. 2.75 mi cool down to make it 10 miles in about 62 minutes. Ran in trainers to protect the feet. Focused on keeping the cadence high (180+) and good arm carriage. It was good to open up a bit. I learned that my body is NOT used to processing lactic acid... got the acid gut early and I wasn't even running very fast!

I'll be racing 3000m this weekend at the BU mini-meet. I'll have to be careful not to get out too aggressively and find myself in the hurt box by 1200m. I seeded myself at 9:05 but who knows... I haven't hit the boards in years! I'll probably try to be through the first k in 3:00 or so since that's the pace I want to lock in for 5k eventually. Bought a pair of the NB5000 spikes in preparation.

Tuesday: 61 minutes / 8.5 mi* on snowshoes. Pretty smooth cruising on the packed snow. Basically felt like endless high knees in quick sand once I was breaking trail out in Baker's Meadow. Hip flexors are pretty fatigued. Easy cruising planned for tomorrow with a bunch of hard strides after.

Wednesday: 66 minutes / 10 miles with Ken Cain around Andover. Ran 4 hard 150m strides at the end to try and open up the legs. Felt good! Hips better, upper hamstrings tight. A couple easy days should have me feeling good for Saturday.

Thursday: Off. Sick. Ohhh well. Rest is key. This is what you deal with when you work around kids.

Friday: Off. Sick/drained/yada yada. Not racing on Saturday. I'll have to get fired up for next week once I kick this thing! I'll try to get out for an easy run after what I anticipate will be 12+ hours of sleep and plenty of tea.

Saturday: 6.5 easy. Ran with my new Garmin 220!  Man this thing is cool! It's super lightweight and measures lots of nifty things like cadence, average stride length, fractional HR zones, plus all the things my old 305 used to do like distance, pace, elevation, average and max HR. Something I want to explore is how I can run 7:30 pace and see my HR in the 160s which is well above my "recovery zone" of 145-155 BPM.

Then on that same run I can run 6:00 pace and see my HR at 170 which is roughly my "tempo zone". So... my normal training paces don't fit well into the zone training theory I've read about. Also interesting to see my max heart rate today happened in the first two minutes of the run, at 7 minute pace (191 bpm) while running up a decent uphill. Cruising sub-6 for the last mile didn't have me any higher than 173 bpm. My zones are here: 145-156 Recovery and Long Run. 172 Tempo. 180-189 Interval.

*Admittedly, this data is probably only interesting for ME but since I use this blog as a training log I'll write whatever I want. Ha! Going long tomorrow or Monday.

Sunday: Pretty hard 10 miles on a rolling course. Good run overall. Last 5k in the 17s.  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/418368458

3 comments:

  1. Excited to hear how it goes! BU is a good place to debut! Definitely get out conservative. Way more fun that way too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point man! The problem is I'm not even sure what "conservative" means for me right now. Guess I'll know a lot more by Sunday. Are you hitting the track this winter?

      Delete
    2. No track for me this winter. Build the miles slowly and ready for the spring (roads and mountains).

      Delete