Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Training 11/11 - 11/17

Monday: 6 miles / 45 minutes with Matt and Ian in the AM. 5 miles / 39 minutes solo PM. Trails for each run.

Tuesday: 3 miles up, 6 x 1 mile on 1 minute (7:00/pace) recoveries. Averaged 5:37. 1.5 down for 11 total. Felt super smooth. It was a brisk one out there! Nearly froze while coaching at the last track session of the season but warmed up hanging out with the crew at the 99 afterward. Alan treated me to a PBR before I even sat down. Good times!

Wednesday: Easy 84+ minutes / 12 miles. 7:00 pace. After freezing yesterday while coaching I decided to stay active to keep warm and wound up pacing a guy to a 5:30 mile. He PR'd by about 20 seconds which was pretty cool to see and really pumped everybody up for the final session of the program.

Thursday: 0 off. Sudden cold #2 strikes! Not surprising. Up late at a bonfire on Wednesday and got pretty chilled. Bonehead mistake!

Friday: 6 miles / 43 minutes easy cruise along the Feaster 5 course. Feeling quite a bit better. Considered going farther but figured one more restful day was best.

Saturday: 11.7 miles / 75:20 (6:25/mi)  in Keene. Slept 13 hours last night so I was feeling pretty good. Started at the parking lot off Optical Ave and headed up Chapman to Jordan road. Back down into town, northwest toward the hospital and onto the bicycle paths into Robinhood Park. Back again toward and through downtown past the college and onto Optical ave to finish. Great run! I miss running in this area.

Sunday: Myles Standish Marathon relay in Plymouth, MA. My dad and I headed down early and registered for the 2-man relay. Originally he was going to take the first 3 legs (14.5) and I would take the remainder to the finish line, but with him fighting a new cold as well as feeling mostly better myself, we changed plans. He ran the first 9.9 and I took the remaining 16.3. Dad ran awesome, clocking 7:10/mile over a hilly course (leading me to question exactly just how unwell he was). He already had us in 4th position in the relay. I grabbed the baton and started moving pretty well. It took me a couple miles to get warmed up and I had no watch (left it at home) so I was running completely on feel. I caught the top relay team right at the following exchange zone so I had a fresh cross-fitter to deal with over the next mile. He was trying to gap me so I reeled him in over a long but shallow hill and gapped him on following downhill. After that point it was time to lock into cruise control and see how long until the wheels would come off. I'm definitely not well trained for this kind of distance and the last 3 miles into the finish were a struggle, particularly on the hills. Ended up clocking 1:35:30 (5:51/mile) for a team finish of 2:47:05. Victory! After a 2+ hour wait our prize was a gleaming 12 case of ... bud light. Thankful however for the ability to get out there and move well, and for a good time spent with my dad. Next up is the Feaster Five in 11 days. Total: 68.5 on 6 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment