Friday, May 24, 2013

Wednesday and Thursday

Wednesday: 0 no run. Played some football with the kids and coached MS/HS/MVS in the evening.

Thursday: Took a bunch of kids from the HS to the Harvard Pilgrim Corporate 5k in Nashua. The kids talked me into running. Crappy weather (steady rain) for racing so I hoped my participation might fire 'em up a bit. Ran in trainers and baggy "coach" shorts. No watch, 16:59.8. I probably should have gone harder but the limited running coupled with some moderate plantar fasciitis had me anxious about going 100% from the gun. Still, I was running pretty hard. Scary that I was basically running 10 mile/half marathon pace and it was tough!! I've got a few weeks before the Hollis 5k, so I guess it's time to get things in gear... ugh. The silver lining is 3rd place got me a dinner for two to Texas Roadhouse, $25 bucks to Runner's Alley, a Loco hat, an 8gig flashdrive, socks and some other random gadgets. Not bad for 3rd place!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Scott - your blog is fascinating and you have quite a spectacular running history! Your times are commendable. Just reading that the 5k pace for that race you just ran was actually your 10 mile to 13.1 mile pace made me laugh (in a good way). I just severely injured myself while training for my first marathon and am really down in the dumps. It's this Sunday and I can barely walk. There are some friends and family who have really said I should just give up running all together. The thing is, I'd just feel dead inside without distance running. Anyway, I always enjoy reading blogs by people who are so passionate about this sport. Keep it up! Cheers, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole - Thanks for the message and sorry to hear about your running woes. If you look at past years of this blog, you'll find huge gaps in my training, frustrated posts, and several "come backs". At a couple different points I considered giving up on running, but each time I get to that point, I create a solution and suddenly I'm back in the game. So, stay positive! It's not unusual to injure yourself, particularly while marathon training. I recommend a lot of things to have a healthy marathon build up, but most important to me is that much of my running is on trails. Trails are softer/safer and allow me to run slower while still gaining aerobic benefit. Consider the words of your friends and family seriously, but also remember that this is YOUR journey. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete