Monday, January 30, 2012

Week 5: 1/30 - 2/5

Monday: 12.2 / 78 minutes. 6:22 average. Met up with fellow Andover resident Nate Jenkins for a steady morning run over a rolling course. It was cool to talk marathon training and welcome Nate to the team in person. Legs and lungs felt excellent. Excited for the week ahead!
Tuesday: 12.3 miles / 83 minutes solo fartlek workout in the Phillips Andover Sanctuary. 3 miles up (gaining 200 ft... who knew I lived in a valley?)1x4', 2x3', 3x2', 4x1' on equal rest. Anyone who runs this 1.55m loop knows how challenging it is to keep up a fast pace. The downhills and turns are just tight enough to make opening up the stride challenging, and then right when you hit the bottom of a hill there is another one staring you in the face. Anyway, I averaged 6:20 pace for 6.2m, gaining and losing 350ft throughout the workout portion. Paces were all over the place due to the hills so I just made sure to challenge myself aerobically, with on-efforts around 5:15-5:30 I'd guess. 3+ down for 12.3 on the day.
Wednesday: 8.5 miles / 65 minutes solo super easy running on a version of the Bakers Meadow loop. My legs were totally trashed from Tuesday's workout so I took it nice and easy this morning. Medicine ball, pull ups, push ups, crunches.
Thursday: 15 miles / 1:43 on Bay Road with partner-in-crime Sam Wood. Ran steady the whole way. Felt pretty good out there this morning!
Friday: 9 miles / 68 with Matt Germain on Andover trails and roads. Felt strong and relaxed once I woke up! Considered adding on, but that wouldn't be a recovery run, now would it?
Saturday am: 8.5? / 61 minutesAwake at 6:30am I realized I had a chance to meet up for Dan Verrington's 7am run out in Bradford. I literally jumped out of bed and into my running clothes and was driving by 6:35. Dan showed me a nice flat to rolling run around a golf course. My entire body felt off probably due to lack of caffeine, 5 hours sleep, no breakfast, etc, but it was still a good run and I was feeling snappy by the end. Great start to a long work day.
Saturday pm: 3 easy to loosen up my calf. It got tight at work probably because I did literally no stretching or pt on it this morning and was stuck in dress shoes all day. Feeling much better now.
Sunday: 13.5 total. 8 mile hill fartlek with Newbould in Nottingham before the Superbowl. Yikes, the hills in Nottingham are tough! 6:03 for 8 mikes of fartlek... Felt the acid stomach early but kept fighting on. Steep grades challenge me more than most tasks, so it's good to work at them. Needless to say it was a good tough run... climbed 850 feet over 8 miles, finishing off with a 5:02 mile plus a few extra minutes hard.


Total: 82 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment