Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Week 4: 1/23 - 1/29

Monday: 9.1 / 75 minutes on snowy trails. Chose trails because I knew I needed to run really slowly and figured the technical aspect of slick trails would keep me entertained. I threw on the iPod as well, which was good, until after about 3 miles I ran into the largest pitbull I've ever seen literally dragging it's owner through the snow. It was lunging, snarling, barking and going totally nuts. The tunes dulled my senses and I  was lucky not to end up with a nasty bite. I don't know why anyone would own a dog like that. It was so strong I stopped and had to ask the owner if he was okay (while he was still on the ground hanging onto the leash). He just grunted and nodded, while the dog looked at me like I was dinner, so I plodded on. I got bit last week by a smaller german sheppard which tore my tights but didn't break the skin. Sick of seeing dogs off leashes and dogs that lunge for my achilles as I run by. I digress... The run was ho-hum compared to yesterday, for obvious reasons. Legs felt better by the end. 
Tuesday am: 8 miles / 58 minutes - Another recovery day in Andover, this time with the company of Chris Mahoney. Ran into new CMS member Nate Jenkins out on Rattlesnake Road. Like Chris said, Andover has become a pretty serious CMS training ground with Jenkins, Verrington, Quintal, the other Jenkins, Mahoney and me. Now if we could get regular workouts going...!
Tuesday pm: 7 miles/ 49 minutes - Last recovery run post Boston prep. Thankful to be mostly beyond the soreness and slowness that proceeds major efforts. Solo running on roads around Andover from the house. 
Wednesday noon: 10.5 / 67 minutes in Durham, with the company of new CMS teammate Tim Mallard. Effort was 4 miles up, 2x3', 3x2', 3x1' with equal rest over a rolling course. Still felt a little drained from Sunday's effort but still hit some solid miles in 5-8. 6:02, 6:08, 613, 6:03. Legs feel good.
Thursday: 9 / 65 minutes in Andover. Prepared to run and caught Dan Verrington on his regular run as he passed by my apartment. I shouted out the window to catch him and joined him for a nice loop around Baker's Meadow pond (my regular out and back on trails, for those not in the know). Added on a 10 minute loop after returning home to guarantee 9. Felt a heck of a lot better today. Just about beyond Sunday's effort, and happy to see yesterday didn't bring me to the well.
Friday am: 8 miles / 54 minutes - Ran with Matt Germain from the apartment. Hit the Rattlesnake road loop just like Tuesday morning. Felt a heck of a lot quicker today, but the rain saturated my gear and threw off my mechanics. Calf is tight in the same old place. Ran in waveriders that have 600+ miles on them, which might not be smart! Double later.
Friday pm: 6 miles / 43 minutes - Solo in Andover before work. Felt really good out there today (compared with this morning).
Saturday: 14 miles / 97 minutes with former teammate, former roommate, 3:50 1500m runner and all-around great guy Marc Ouellette out in Maudslay State Park. Felt really good, no calf tightness to speak of. Finished off with a 6:05 on the roads and barely got to work on time. Pleasantly surprised nothing is lingering with 90+ miles on the last 7 days. Tomorrow will be an easy double.
Sunday noon: 9.5 miles / 67 minutes solo on a combo of roads and trails in Andover. Legs were feeling really good but holding them back for tomorrow
Sunday pm: 3 miles

Total: 84.1

Best week I've had in a while. It was easy to get out the door fresh off a PR and all the enthusiasm surrounding upcoming races like the Jones 10 Miler and New Bedford Half. As I adjust to the higher mileage I'll be taking lots of runs considerably slower than I'm used to. This coming week's focus is to have 2 light-medium difficulty workouts, a good long run mid week and an emphasis on recovery runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment