Friday, March 18, 2016

Recovery week #5: Steady as she goes!

Monday: Myrtl routine, 10 minute spin. Feeling run down for no good reason. Saw the doctor in the morning and he said I'm healing faster than expected which was uplifting.

Tuesday: Myrtl routine, 20 minute spin and feeling downright sick. First cold of winter 2016. Celebrated Lauren's birthday at Burton's with Chrissy, Greg and Alex

Wednesday: took a break from myrtl stuff as I'm feeling pretty sore in the hips (in a good way). 30 minute spin at an aerobic intensity as a test to see how the knee would react. Lifted 3 x 10 on the bench at 95, 105, 115, 3 x 10 at 50 lb overhead press, 3 x 10 at 90 lb on the lat pull downs.

Thursday: No activity. Just regular icing at home. Busy day made for a good excuse to relax a bit. Not surprisingly, the knee was a bit more swollen than it was early in the week and I'm assuming it's because I pushed things on the bike. It's not painful.. but I probably won't try that again until week 7 since regularly hitting that level of intensity is probably a stupid idea for now.  Testing things out is all part of the process.

Friday: 20 minute spin. I toyed with the idea of lifting but struggled with comparable weight to Wednesdays session and bagged it right away. I did the myrtl session when I got home which is getting a lot easier.

Saturday: Lauren and I went to Maudslay for a walk. No real plan in terms of time or distance, just followed the perimeter and down to the river. It was beautiful out. Saw a great horned owl nesting in a large spruce just outside the parking lot which was really neat. Wound up traveling 3 painless miles in a bit over an hour. My legs were tired in general simply from having deliberately avoided walking for much of the past 5 weeks!!

Sunday: 20 minute spin followed by a quick lift at the Y. Moved up to 3 x 10 at 60 lb on the overhead press. High school brats hogged the bench press for most of the time so I used dumbells at 40 lbs instead for the a couple sets and then grabbed the opportunity to do one set of 10 at 125 lbs - first time at that weight since college (which was a pretty long time ago if I'm forced to think about it!) I did curls at 30 lbs which was another first. Similar stuff as normal for the lats and triceps. And, the knee felt so good I decided to try part of the lunge matrix I'll be building into my training at the beginning of every session (eventually). I did 5 forward lunges on each leg, and 5 side lunges in each direction, and I was slow and deliberate not to push into any discomfort. They felt good, but I can tell it will be weeks if not a month or more before I really feel confident with them.



No comments:

Post a Comment