Monday, September 16, 2013

Update... It's not pretty!

I had a few good weeks of training...

And then I had a sudden and severe case of fatigue. The fatigue corresponded with a pretty irregular heartbeat and palpitations. All that was followed by dizziness and nausea and I checked myself into an ER.

Things improved and I was allowed to go home wearing something called a Holter monitor. A week and a half later I learned that the monitor showed, apparently serious, irregularities in my heart rhythm. "Pauses" in the electric activity.

Since then I've had a few tests and more are coming. I called off training for a marathon this Fall (obviously) and I didn't register for Boston when I had planned to.

I can report that I feel pretty good and the PVCs I had for a few weeks are slowly but surely going away. I'm not sure what else to say! I'll know a lot more soon.

Since this blog is public, I won't go into detail. However, yes, it's all a little scary, and I'm taking it in stride. Teaching and coaching are a blast and serve as positive distractions. So are my two, thus far losing, fantasy football teams.

Yesterday was a little tough as I missed out on the Lone Gull 10k. Hopefully I'll see many of you out there on the road eventually, but at this point I can't predict when.

3 comments:

  1. Damn, Scott. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant to say was rest up, listen to the doctors, and try to keep a positive attitude. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you a speedy return to good health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Greg. I felt pretty uncertain for a minute there, but the follow-up appointment went great. Mostly back to normal after a crazy month.

    ReplyDelete