Monday, October 15, 2012

last long run!

This past Thursday's long run went well, but I was tired. I took the following day (Friday) very easy (58 min) on trails from home. On Saturday I still felt a little sore but headed out for an awesome 10 miler, finishing up with a few miles in the low 6's. 

So by Sunday I was ready to go long again in my "crash course to the 'thon". Met up with some friends from the Sisu project, plus a couple others for a run on the rail trail from Newfields. Vassallo and I ran together the whole way. Germain joined for most of the return portion. It was muddy and wet but the run still felt pretty smooth. I felt far better than I did on Thursday. Here are the stats: http://connect.garmin.com/splits/233482590

21 miles at 6:30 average on trail. Having done this run, I'm confident 6:30/mile for the marathon is possible.  The real question is can I run 6:00 - 6:10? This Thursday I will probably go 4x2m at 5:40. I'll probably throw in some longer repeats at 5:20 pace on Sunday and  5xmile repeats at 5:45 on Wednesday. I'll do just about everything I can to tune up before the big dance. Heck, I might even do a sit-up or two. 13 days to go!




3 comments:

  1. I would highly suggest that the week of the marathon, you just run. No workouts. Sunday should be your last hard effort before the big day. You aren't gonna be gaining any more fitness the week of the marathon. Wednesday's workout is just gonna make your legs tired for Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, I would agree with Eric. At this point the hay is in the barn, by doing a workout the week of you are just taking away from your race. if anything I would say do some easy runs and some strides but nothing long. Good luck at the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys. Coming from a couple dudes who just rocked Hartford, I have to give it some thought. The idea isn't to gain fitness so much as smooth out mechanics, and definitely not to tire the legs! I like Goup's advice of a couple strides days or something less taxing. Great job to both of you last weekend

      Delete