Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Week 10: 3/5 - 3/11

Monday: 5 am / 5 pm. Easy shakeouts. Feeling off. My stride just feels like junk and I'm super tight in the hamstrings and calves. Probably shouldn't have run in trail racers in Boston on Saturday -- everything hurt after. Rolled out and stretched repeatedly. Feeling better in the evening.
Tuesday: 11.5 easy warmup followed by 4x600m Prospect Hill repeats (50' vertical climb), then 300, 400, 500, 600m hard on flats. 2:08, 2:08, 2:05, 2:01 on the Prospect repeats. Happy to finally have a good hill to work on.  Kept everything at 5' pace for the flats afterward since they were mostly for volume. Felt pretty darn good today after a sluggish warm up.
Wednesday: 70 minutes / 10 miles steady on a mixture of slushy trails and roads. My "quick feet" were sharp for the trails today and I was really flying out there on some messy terrain. So much fun sliding around. I'm already lamenting a winter which failed to produce the snow I hoped for. Almost ran tempo for the last 4 but held off for a Friday - Monday - Thursday workout schedule heading into NB.
Thursday 8am: 79 minutes / 12.2 with Matt Germain on new roads from the apartment. I hadn't been out by the Haggett's pond area north of 133 so it was cool to add some new terrain. The roads were fairly busy with morning commuters but I was pumped to see several reservations with trail systems that take you all the way out to the Rivah trail. Can't wait to get back out there. Each of us acknowledged the pace was a tad quick but it was a beautiful day and sometimes you just have to run! 6:31 pace overall, first 10 at 6:15.
Friday: 8x400m, 4x200m on 200m/55s recovery, 71, 71, 70, 70, 70, 69, 70, 69, 32, 31, 31, 30. Finally starting to turn the legs over with some classic track work! The recovery was the toughest component as I was 16:50ish through 5k. Not a ton of volume but the goal was to get the legs turning over efficiently. Made sense not to go after volume after a pretty solid run yesterday, 9.5 total.
Saturday: 8 miles really slow after work.
Sunday 6:30 am: 13..5 / impromptu workout. La and I are checking out a gym in town so I decided to begin my run there. Had originally planned to go 17ish but 5.5 miles in on the dreadmill I couldn't take it anymore and decided to run a few miles at half-marathon effort: 2 miles in 10:50, bathroom stop, 2 miles in 10:40, 90 second jog, 1 mile in 5:20, 3 miles down. 5:20 pace doesn't exactly feel easy but in a racing environment I think I can hold this up for a good long while. Running so dang early definitely added to the challenge. #notamorningperson!

Total: 74.7 on with 3 quality workouts and some good core work thrown in throughout the week. I'm not positive I can pull off a 1:10-1:11 at NB but I'll go out at that pace and just hold on for dear life that last 5 or so miles. Barring a full-on implosion I should set a PB one week from today. And if I learned anything from Amherst it's to not start out in 10:15 through 2 miles (ugh). 10:50-11:00 sounds far more manageable after that!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Andover. I guess it's technically Prospect Road into Ward Hill Lane (although I could swear I saw a sign called Prospect Hill)! It's the accress road to the parking area for the Ward Reservation.

      Delete
    2. ok, because Prospect Hill in Lawrence is pretty steep, but I wouldn't think you were over there doing a hill workout.

      Delete