Monday, February 20, 2012

Week 8: 2/20 - 2/26

Monday: 9.5 / 67 minutes in Maudslay state park in Newburyport solo. Beautiful late afternoon run. Ran easy.
Tuesday 8am: 11.8 / 83 minutes on Andover roads with Matt Germain. Nice morning and good to catch up with Matt. It was clear we're both pretty excited about this Sunday's race! Felt the morning sluggishness but loosened up and felt good by the end.
Wednesday: 2x2 mile aborted today. Warmed up 2 miles and felt like junk. Coughing up crap and feeling gassed on shallow grades. Ran one mile hard, and I mean HARD. My lungs felt like complete junk. The goal was to run 5:20 pace. I hit 1 mile in 5:30 on the nose. Feeling well out of my comfort zone, I checked my heart rate and I was at 191. I'm no expert, but 191 is insanely high for a tempo-like pace. I keep track of HR for workouts because of some past history with pericarditis or in layman's terms heart-exhaustion-syndrome. I slept 13 hours straight through last night and I've been dancing around a cold since Monday, so I guess this all makes sense. To be ready for Amherst I need to rest as much as possible and still get consistent miles. 8-9 miles every day to Sunday is my best shot at putting something together there. One day at a time! . . .
Thursday: Coughing up green gook this morning. Took the morning off of running. I definitely have more energy than yesterday so that's a positive change. Plan is to run easy 60 minutes after work this evening. #ihatebeingsick
Thursday pm: off - whiped out after work and felt little could be gained by running. Not good!
Friday: 7 miles / 45 minutes with 10 minutes of diagonals. Stride the diagonal length of the football field and jog the short straight. Felt good to open up, but still feeling generally off. Energy is basically there and I only coughed up stuff when I woke up.
Saturday: off - debated whether running would be beneficial today. Normally I'd have thought so, but looking towards tomorrow I just need to relax and run hard, and forget about this week. 
Sunday: 16 miles with 10 mile race. 55:05 good for 29th place overall and 5th man for CMS. Race report to follow. 


Total: 49 miles with two full days off, one bailed workout, and a long race. Need to step things up these next couple weeks. 

2 comments:

  1. if your arch is still bothering you, ice it as much as possible. Also, get a golf ball or equivalent and roll it for a minute or two before you run and throughout the day. it helps. looking forward to seeing you at Amherst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks KG. i haven't felt the arch for a few days so i think i'm past the worst of it, but you never know. looking forward to finally toeing the line with you this Sunday. should be fun!

      Delete